You've heard of oat milk chocolate, but what about chocolate oat milk? Whether you're looking for a simple dairy-free alternative to your favourite chocolate drink or wanting to upgrade your morning smoothie bowl, our homemade vegan chocolate oat milk recipe is smooth, thick and irresistibly delicious.
- 80g rolled oats
- 750ml filtered water
- 30g vegan cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsps of maple syrup (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
1. Start by soaking the rolled oats in water for at least 30 minutes. This step will help soften the oats and make them easier to blend.
2. Once the oats are done soaking, drain them and rinse them with fresh water.
3. In a blender, combine the soaked oats with 750ml water, 30g cocoa powder, 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup, 1/2 a teaspoon vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If necessary, add a splash more water.
4. Next, strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer to remove any remaining oat particles. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your strainer.
5. Transfer the chocolate oat milk to a glass jar or a bottle and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Shake well before each use.
And that's it! Enjoy your delicious vegan chocolate oat milk on its own, or use it as a base for smoothies, lattes and mochas, and other milk-free chocolate treats. For an oat-on-oat (we guess you could say OATrageous) experience, we recommend enjoying your dairy-free chocolate oat milk mixed into overnight oats and topped with some H!P Oat M!lk Chocolate. Enjoy a taste of plant-based chocolate perfection.