It's September, and we all know what that means: hot chocolate season has returned (after the freak heatwave we experienced in Britain during the first week of September which meant that all chocolate was boiling hot whether we wanted it to be or not). At H!P, our secret to making the best vegan hot chocolate is, as you would expect, using one of our creamy oat milk chocolate bars in place of hot chocolate powder. Using a chocolate bar in our hot cocoa drinks is a hot chocolate ritual for the H!P team, and this recipe will show you why.
One of the many glories of our oat milk chocolate is its cocoa percentage. Whilst plenty of mainstream dairy and dairy free chocolate bars use low percentages of cocoa, with the industry minimum being 10%, our plant-powered chocolate contains 40% cocoa. It's not just any cocoa, either, it's single-origin Colombian cocoa grown by a family-run business in Bogota who have been farming cocoa for over 100 years. This is the finest, richest, sexiest cocoa, meaning it's perfect for creating fine, rich and sexy hot chocolates. You can read more about how we source our cocoa here.
The ingredients for this marvellous mug of vegan hot chocolate are simple: you're going to need a H!P Oat Milk Chocolate Bar (shock), either our Creamy Original or our smooth Salted Caramel, and some thick barista oat milk (another shock). If you're feeling extra, which you should be, then we always recommend grabbing some vegan double cream and vegan whipped cream for an extra creamy finish, and a few H!P Oat Milk Chocolate Buttons for a delicious garnish.
1. Chop your chocolate bar of choice into small chunks. To guarantee an even and easy melt, aim for evenly sized pieces.
2. Fill a jug with 200ml of oat milk. Gently heat 100ml of oat milk in a saucepan.
3. Once the milk starts steaming at the surface, add in your H!P chocolate and whisk until all the chocolate has melted.
4. Keep on a very low heat and add in the rest of the oat milk alongside a healthy dose (around 20ml) of vegan double cream. Stir until well combined, making sure not to let the mixture boil.
5. Pour the creamy chocolate mixture into your favourite mug, add a swirl of vegan whipped cream and top with our vegan chocolate buttons.
6. Sit back, relax and enjoy.
Happy autumn from H!P.